Saturday, August 14, 2004
NEWBURY - Saturday, August 14, 2004
THE VALUE BETTING COLUMN EVERY SATURDAY
NEWBURY, SATURDAY, AUGUST 14, 2004
GOING: GOOD TO SOFT
2.50pm STAN JAMES ONLINE HUNGERFORD STAKES, 7F
For the latest best odds on each runner from British-based bookmakers and betting exchanges, please go to http://www.BritOdds.com
1) (4) 1-00 Just James Jeremy Noseda 5-9-05 Eddie Ahern
Useful at best but shown very little on two starts this term and hard to fancy giving weight away all round.
2) (13) 6355 Babodana Mark Tompkins 4-9-00 Darryll Holland
Won Lincoln on seasonal reappearance and generally consistent in Pattern company since. Chance.
3) (1) 8440 Country Reel Saeed bin Suroor 4-9-00tv Kerrin McEvoy
Gimcrack winner in 2002 but disappoints more than he delivers these days and unproven at this trip.
4) (3) -295 Duck Row James Toller 9-9-00 Lisa Jones
Tough veteran but generally finds a few too good these days.
5) (2) 5422 Makhlab Barry Hills 4-9-00b Martin Dwyer
Stable not in great form and has generally looked a bit short of class.
6) (12) 4233 Millennium Force Mick Channon 6-9-00 Chris Catlin
Hasn't won since April 2003 but would have a chance on his latest effort. Chance at a price.
7) (9) -032 Polar Way Amanda Perrett 5-9-00 Richard Hughes Clear form pick on his second under top weight in competitive handicap at Ascot 3 weeks ago. Clear chance but value lies elsewhere.
8) (5) 0651 Quito David Chapman 7-9-00b Tony Culhane
Tough campaigner who goes well at this trip. Should run his race. Good each-way chance.
9) (11) 1402 Suggestive William Haggas 6-9-00b Michael Hills
Second in Group Two at Goodwood last time gives him a decent chance but has not always been the most consistent.
10) (7) -673 Chic Sir Michael Stoute 4-8-11 Kieren Fallon
Stable still a little out of sorts but this one has had valid excuses on her last two starts and would be a major threat if running up to her best.
11) (10) 15-7 Carrizo Creek Brian Meehan 3-8-08 Jimmy Fortune
Group Two winner last season but not seen out since disappointing in the Free Handicap and looks best watched here.
12) (6) -491 Rum Shot Henry Candy 3-8-08 Dane O'Neill
Stable in red hot form and this one won Listed contest over six furlongs at Chester last time. Tackling seven furlongs for the first time and facing step up in class, but open to improvement.
13) (8) 1847 So Will I Marcus Tregoning 3-8-08 Richard Hills
Good form earlier this season but disappointed badly last time. Others appeal more.
CONCLUSION: In an open race, the value lies with the improving RUM SHOT
For old articles (from 1st March 2000) go to the Newslink Archive